Mumbai, Oct 26 (PTI) Private sector general insurer SBI General Insurance today said it received the highest number of claims under the breast cancer segment within the age group of 51-60 years.
“Around 33 per cent of breast cancer claims were reported within the age group of 51-60 years, followed by 21 per cent claims within the age group of 41-50,” a company statement said here today.
The minimum number of four per cent claims were made within the age-group of 10-20 years, it said.
In alignment with the Breast Cancer Awareness Month which falls in October, the company analysed the internal claims data of three years– 2014 to September 2016– to discover trends amongst different age groups and type of claims made against breast cancer within a sample-size of 230.
While 55 per cent claims were made for surgical treatment, remaining 45 per cent claims were made for conservative treatment. A whopping 64 per cent of the total claim size was within the band of Rs 10,000 to Rs 50,000, it said.
About 72 per cent of the total breast cancer claims were made for malignant disorder and the rest 28 per cent claims were reported for benign disorder, it said.
According to the report, a total of 77 per cent claims were made from non-metro cities including Ahmedabad, Pune, Hyderabad and Rajkot. Again, 72 per cent of the total breast cancer claims were made for ‘malignant disorder’ and the rest 28 per cent claims were reported for ‘benign disorder’.
According to the World Health Organisation data, the majority of deaths occur in low- and middle-income countries, where most women with breast cancer are diagnosed in late stages due mainly to lack of awareness on early detection and barriers to health services, the report said.